Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Rest of the Story...

So daddy tried the sock on after he took his shower. And it fit. He gave it back to Dan a couple days later to bring home so I would know how many cable repeats I had to do for the second. I asked Dan if his papa seemed happy with the socks. He said yes but the way he said it made me think he wasn't telling me everything that was said. I asked if he had said anything specifically about the socks. He said no. I knew he was lying because he had a smirk on his face. I asked him what else was said. Are you ready for this one??? My father said the cuff of the sock looks "womanly." Womanly. WTF??? Some one might want to write Vogue and tell them the Men's Cable Socks pattern isn't manly enough. Pain in the ass. So I told him the other night that I heard the socks I was working on for him were "womanly." He started to pretend that he didn't know what I was talking about. I told him not to bother. He said he was afraid to say anything because he didn't want me to stop knitting him socks. He also said he could care less what they look like because nobody else will see them. Well that's comforting.

10 comments:

Nic said...

Now that you mention it I dont think I have seen men's cable socks ;) I'm trying to think if the socks worn with kilts are... no I think they are 5x1 rib...

Yeah So said...

*sigh* men are men, even if they are your dad. Well, you were looking for an excuse to keep them, no? Keep them and knit him some plain stockinette ones in grey. And then wear them in the mud. And then store them in the garbage can fo a week. Manly enough?

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

I think it is incredibly sweet that he didn't want to say anything because he really wants more socks.

Lucky for him the girly-man part is up top where it wont show with pants on.

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least he WANTS them! I give up on my DH because he never wears anything I knit for him. I personally think they are gorgeous. Next time make him lace socks, and see how he likes them!! hahaha
:)

Anonymous said...

Well, Kerry, you DID keep after Dan until he told you what your dad said. And then you DID keep nagging Dad until he admitted it. Someday you will learn to NOT keep looking for information you may NOT want to hear (ya' think??).

LOL - but he didn't want to tell you because he loves your socks, so cut the man some slack and knit!

Anonymous said...

Awwww...that is so sweet that he doesn't want to discourage you! My hubby is very upfront. He'll assess in a flash and say, "Nope." I've learned to show him a picture first. Surprises apparently are not a good thing!

Diane said...

Sounds just like my dad. Nothing but navy blue, grey, or black for clothes and socks must be plain black only.

Shelby said...

That's really cute. At least your dad does appreciate them enough to lie about the cabled pair. It's funny that he told Dan though...like you werent' going to get it out of him! ;)

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, my bf doesnt let me knit stuff for him because it all looks "girly" to him. But eventually I will knit him socks, but probably do them plain so he doesnt moan! His feet are bigger then mine so I wouldnt be able to fit them properly if I didnt... :) But I do like the socks you made... I dont think they are all that "womanly"

Anonymous said...

Cables are so womanly. Everyone thinks cables when they think of a girly garment. Not. 99% of men's sweaters have cables.

Oh well, at least he appreciates them. I don't knit much for the males in my family. If they won't wear it, they won't get it. I will happily knit for charity instead.