Sunday, July 02, 2006

Butterfly Boo Boo

Dear Friends,

In an attempt to make my blog as instructional as the Harlot's I thought I'd give you all a little lesson on how to manipulate stitches without having to rip rows and rows of work. I knit both the fronts of the little purple sweater I started for Dailaesse and intentionally left out a butterfly at the top of each piece. See? No butterfly at the top. Just lots of empty space where a butterfly should be.

The first thing I do is stick a dpn through the 5 stitches that will begin the repair and then rip out down to those stitches sitting on the dpn:

Then I start knitting just like I normally would:

See the brand new butterfly? Isn't it pretty?

Ta da...

This concludes today's lesson. Wasn't it so thoughtful of me to deliberately leave out those butterflies just to provide you all with this valuable information? There's nothing I wouldn't do for you. Now, please excuse me while I go bang my head up against the wall since I found a mistake I made while fixing the mistake I made practicing on the first front I corrected just for you, my dear friends.

Kerry

Seriously. I will be banging my head on the wall. I don't know why the hell I didn't realize I stopped short on the butterfly pattern on the fronts. It was very obvious once the sleeve was finished. This pisses me off. What pisses me off most is that it's about 100 today and I'm hot, sticky and miserable. I'm also using acrylic for the sweater. And I have to fix it or it'll drive me nuts. As soon as I fix the first front that I botched I'll be standing topless in front of the a/c with a nice cold glass of iced tea and an ice pack for my head. At least this time it's just 1 stitch instead of 5.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

ok - here's my question..

doesn't it get awfully tight when you're knitting with the string hanging across? when you get to the end? Or do you make these repairs using one smaller needle?
I've tried this method and that's the way it seems to me. So am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did learn something new! I would never have thought of doing that. I would have frogged down to the beginning of the mistake and done the entire thing over. Silly me! LOL

Dear lady, you didn't have to be so hard on yourself. If you never mentioned it, we would never know you made a mistake!

Blog Archive