Monday, July 24, 2006

Little Hank Grows Up

The last time I was at Sue's I bought a gorgeous hank of Fleece Artist Merino. I have to be quite honest and tell you I think the poor little hank may have been a return. I believe this to be the case because it was the only hank of this colorway, it was wound oddly and it's definitely not one of the new colorways. Can you imagine anyone returning a hank of Fleece Artist? Must have been some sort of deranged lunatic. I felt so bad for the poor little thing that I just had to bring it home with me.

When I got home with the little skein I tucked it into a special spot in a nice clear plastic bin with lots of other Fleece Artist. It's sat there since I brought it home. Everytime I open the bin to add more yarn or take some out I see that little hank. I can only imagine what sort of terrible life it had before coming to live with me. I felt it's pain and I knew it was desperate to become something spectacular. So last week I took it out and wound it into a ball. The little hank immediately perked up.

I cast on for a pair of Pomatomus. I got through 2 pattern repeats on the leg and could tell that as happy as the little hank was to know it was loved, it still wasn't as happy as it could have been. (Am now back to working these socks in the yarn I originally bought for them.) So I ripped out the start of the sock (I wished I had taken pictures but really, it was so sad that it would have depressed you.) and decided to cast on for a pair of Diamond Lace Socks. Little Hank was much happier about becoming a pair of these because it really got to show off. Unfortunatley, the pattern didn't. (BTW Sandie, you really did a wonderful job designing these socks. I love the pattern and will be working it in a color that will allow it to do the showing off instead. I'm thinking a nearly solid Lorna's Laces.) So I ripped that sock out and went back to the drawing board and came up with this...


the Crusoe pattern from Knitty. As you can see, I've made a change already opting to begin with a little 2x2 rib before starting the slip stitch pattern. I also don't think I'll carry the pattern down the foot. Will let you know about that for sure when I get there though.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

yum! I have to say the color is really beautiful! One of the days I'm going to have to order some Fleece Artist!

Anonymous said...

Sorry the lonely hank wasn't suitable for Diamond Lace, but I am very honored that you even considered it. Now I can't wait to see what yarn you actually use it with. I must have got lucky with the yarn I chose, because I do think it will work up even better with a solid color yarn. Still, your Crusoe looks great!!
S :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry,
I've been wanting to do the Crusoe pattern for a while and just picked up some yarn that would be perfect. I like how you adjusted the cuff.

It's gorgeous!
Patty
(SP8 Hostess)

Blog Archive