Friday, May 05, 2006

Kids Are Like Self Patterning Sock Yarn Because...

1. They are fun.

2. They are exciting.

3. They are one of a kind.

4. You can't wait to see how they turn out.

5. Once they're gone there's no getting them back.

These things occurred to me on the way home from Taco Bell the other night. I was thinking as we were heading out Wednesday night for the hour drive there (yes, we drive an hour for tacos from Taco Bell) that I should have my head examined for driving that distance with the rising gas prices on a school night for Taco Bell tacos. BUT the kids had such a great time. We all sat at the table and told jokes and laughed and talked about our days. It was a wonderful night. On the drive back I was thinking about the next pair of socks I wanted to cast on. I've been wanting to try a pair of Jaywalkers with that great new Fortissima 1776 yarn. Mmmm...self striping yarn. I haven't used any in a while now and I'm actually quite looking forward to it. Anyway, I was pondering which yarn I would actually use since I only have one ball of 1776. See I have this thing about using up special yarns. Why? Because we all know they are limited production. Once you knit those suckers up you might not ever be able to get another ball again. See the problem? Do you knit it and enjoy the excitement of seeing how it works up or do you safely tuck it away in a special place for later? Just in case they stop making it and you can't get it again. Then I thought of how much that idea related to the kids. All three of them are such amazing little people each with their own unique personality and style. I can't wait to see who and what they grow up to be but at the same time I don't really want them to grow up because they won't be young anymore and I can't ever get that back. Maybe this is why I tend to hoard yarn. I can choose whether to knit it or not. But the kids? Well, I have no choice but to let them grow up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's those sweet little "mind snapshots" of the kids at 3 months, 6 months, 18 months that keep you from killing them from 3-16 yrs. LOL

My Yesterdays said...

Kerry did you send out a email about greenzap something .. let me know
toni@qconline.com
Toni

Blog Archive