Thursday, October 20, 2005

Just A Little Bit Of Magic

Last night I called my parents to see if they were done dinner yet. They weren't. I asked my father to call when they got done because the kids wanted to see him in his new hat. Wanna know what he said? "Jesus Christ. Are you kidding?" I assured him that I was definitely not kidding. We wanted to see him in the hat and we wanted to see it when they were done dinner. Surprisingly enough, he called when they were done dinner. We bundled the kids up and headed across the yard. He modeled the hat and the kids were happy. They just wanted to see how the hat that they had helped make looked on their Papa. I told my father that a little enthusiasm would be nice seems how a lot of time and effort went into making the hat especially for him. I told him I was up after midnight working in ends. I told him how my hands had cramped. You know what he said? "Would you like me to go turn cartwheels in the road?" Why yes. Yes I would like that very much. And don't worry, should that ever happen I'll be sure to post the pictures.

I talked to Sue the other day and we scheduled a Magic Loop class for 10am on Saturday, November 19th. I'm very excited! If anyone is nearby and wants to sign up just give Sue a call. Now I just need to work on a simple sock pattern to bring with me. Seems how Dailaesse could do with some new socks I will make a pair for her. Sue thought it best to do something small so people can at least turn the heel while they're there and I totally agree with her. When we had first talked about doing the clog classes that was her idea too. Have everyone do the same size. And do the smallest size possible which was the childs x-small. Now a lot of people complained about having to do the childs size. They wanted to do something adult sized. Something they could wear. I get that, BUT. (I know, there's always a but.) Doing the smallest size allows the participants to go through the entire process of making the clog, or in this case sock. Beginning to end and everything in between. Know what happens when you don't get to work through the whole process? You can't finish your clogs, or socks. It really is best to do something small. And someone is bound to have a baby sooner or later right?

Knitcrazy was drawn from the batch of entries for yesterday. Congrats! Keep those comments coming in! I'm having so much fun reading everyone's comments. It doesn't get any better than this!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had 8 days of rain last week, but the past couple days have been lovely. More rain for the next three days, but better than feet of snow, right?

I'm glad your Father was accomodating to the children. I know they must have been tickled pink to have contributed to his beautiful new hat.

Knitcrazy said...

LOL..LOL

Well.. I see your dad has a Good sence of Humor !!!! LOL
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i'm glad that your kids were excited about you dad's hat. some men just don't show enthusiasm for anything. it's just their nature.

i think it's a good idea to knit a small sample sock as a class just so you can touch on all the parts.

adrienne in the bellybutton of california

Leslie said...

I think knitting a miniature is a good idea, Kerry. That way there's nothing to be afraid of when at home - you've already done it all.

But if reading our comments is the height of your day, you are in need of a good rousing day of SEX (Stash Enhancement Expeditions) - don't get your knickers in a knot!!! LOL I recommend taking advantage of the last nice weather before snow and going on a yarn crawl.

Anonymous said...

I think it was cute that your kids had to see their grandpa in his new hat. Too bad he wasn't more flattered. LOL I sure wish I could attend your magic loop class. Good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

Hope your magic loop goes ok

Mz Mar said...

Once you do that Magic Loop you'll never do socks on dpn's again~~
just think of all those dpn's collecting dust!
I wannna see your Dad doing cart wheels!! lol~~

Teresa said...

I love reading about your family. I miss my son being little. But at least my Granddaughter is a hoot!

http://www.lileesgram.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your dad gets about as excited about things as my dad does. Oh well, at least we are excited about our projects right? I love the magic loop too, but I still enjoy my double points. I think it's good that your students are doing a small sock, then they will have fewer questions later. I remember the first time I turned a heel, I was convinced the pattern was goofy. Good luck! Lisa D.
dykstral@altelco.net

Anonymous said...

I knit my father in law a new hat each winter and he loves them, I never have to ask him to model it... he never takes it off. He doesn't do cartwheels though, although my kids would like to see that. Good Luck. Monica in IN

Lizardknits said...

I agree with you about everyone doing the same (smallest) size. I'm teaching a toe up class right now, and didn't do that. Everyone is very jealous of the one person who chose to do a baby sock. And I'm spending hours on the phone trying to talk people through confusing spots. Next time I teach this class - EVERYONE does baby socks!

Anonymous said...

I checked out your photos today and I love the Chutes-N-Ladders socks you did for yourself and dear daughter. Is it a difficult pattern to knit?

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the class. When I took my class on toe-up, we had a choice of doing a mini-sock or adult size, but we were also warned right from the get-go that we needed to be at the point of turning the heel by the second class or we wouldn't learn it at all because there were only 2 classes. The first night was spent playing with the toes and the second class was dedicated to turning the heel.

We did a very simple pattern and the class wa listed for "intermediate knitters". Course, we did have one lady show up who'd forgotten how to cast-on and had never worked on dpns. ("Well, it's been about 10 years, but I do know how to knit and purl...")

ARGH! The one good thing is that the woman who taught the class warned her that her inexperience would probably work against her. I think she finally got the hang of casting on before the class was over... :-)

Mz Mar said...

I'm back!!! A comment "on the run"
I'm freezin here so I'm going to soak in a hot bath!!
Then back to knitting!!

Anonymous said...

Where ya been Kerry? We missed ya the last couple of days!
Lisa D.
dykstral@altelco.net

Lizardknits said...

Hi Kerry, So, is it still snowing? Don't leave us hanging!

Nyxxie said...

I need to take your clog class is there a way I can take it over the internet?? I think all the way up there from here to learn to make clogs wouldn't go over to well with the other half!! LOL

Blog Archive