Friday, October 07, 2005

Something's Burning

and I don't think it's love. Remember that song? Something's burning. Something's burning. Something's burning. And I think it's love. Anyways...around 2 this afternoon I picked up the phone and called my husband at work. The conversation went like this:

Me: Honey can you please come home? Right now? Hurry!!!
Hubby: What's wrong???
Me: There's something burning in the house. I don't know where it's coming from. I think it's near the tv but I don't see any flames or smoke. I'm scared. Hurry!!!
Hubby: I'm on my way. I'll be there in a few minutes.

I hung up and decided it best to look all over the house to be sure it wasn't coming from the basement or upstairs. Basement. Clear. Upstairs. Well, it smells to high heaven in the hallway but again there's no smoke or flames. Back downstairs. There it is again. Right by the entertainment center. So I pull the speaker cabinet out and look. Nothing except one horrific smell. Almost electrical. Hmmm. We live in an old house and I have a very vivid imagination. I see flames shooting behind the walls where I can't actually SEE them. But I know they've got to be there. So I go to unplug the stuff from the outlet. HOT. VERY HOT!!! I burnt my hand. What the hell??? I carefully and quickly feel around the rest of the wall. Nothing. Cool as a cucumber. Hmmm. I call Bran again:

Me: The plug thing for the Pico (10 year old game station thing that plugs into the tv that Dailaesse has played with more in the past few months than Dan or Darcie have in the past 10 years) is hotter than hell. I just burned my hand unplugging it from the wall.
Bran: Hmmm. Must be Dixie chewed it again.

I guess Dixie has a thing for electrical wires. When Bran got home he looked at it and found the chew marks. She broke through the insulation on the wires. She had to have been zapped. There's no way she could have chewed through it and not been zapped. I wondered why she was being so crazy. On the up side, I don't think she'll be chewing things anymore. She's been really good since this afternoon. I was so relieved when Bran got home and confirmed that the house wasn't going to burn to the ground. I was really scared. The smell was HUGE. I thought of calling the fire department. But I hadn't showered. Bran found this funny. I promised if I ever actually see flames that I will take the kids, leave the house and call the fire department. No matter what my hair looks like.

I'd like to show you some knitting progress but there really isn't any to speak of. I've ripped the damn hat that I had half way completed. I ran into the woman I'm knitting it for at Adirondack Yarns on Wednesday morning and really wanted her to try it on. I figured I'd just pull the needle and then slide the stitches back on when she was finished. Wrong. I forgot that I had just completed a cable row. The stitches went all over the place. I started picking it back up but lost patience and ripped it back out. I tried starting over again at dance class but I just couldn't do it. I was bombarded by little 4 year old girls who wanted to know what I was doing and how I was doing it. Can I try??? They were so cute. Dailaesse answered for me...she told them I was yarning.

We left dance class 10 minutes early on Wednesday because Dailaesse was crying at the door. I was having a perfectly lovely ADULT conversation with one of the other mothers when I heard it. The high pitch scream only my littlest princess makes. I ran to the door and opened it. She was standing there with her tambourine. Sobbing. Hard. I asked what was wrong. She told me her eyes were watering. I asked what was wrong again. She said, "Because my both eyes are watering." Seeing this going in a circle forever I asked why her eyes were watering. She looked at me like I had absolutely no brain and said, "Mama, don't you know that when your eyes are watering it means your crying?" So I asked why she was crying. She told me because her eyes were watering. Anybody else see a Laurel and Hardy skit here? She finally told me she wanted to go home. When we got to the van she said, "God Mama, I was so sad because I was missing you so bad. Didn't you know that?" Finally. The answer to who's on first.

Enjoy the weekend! It's suppose to be rainy and crappy here all weekend so I hope to have lots of progress pictures by Monday. :-)

No comments:

Blog Archive