Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Hair Today

Dan has been bugging for a hair cut. He doesn't like going to the salon or the barber. He likes me to do it. So Sunday after we finished dinner I got out my clippers. It started out innocently enough. I put the size 2 attachment on just like always. I mowed all the hair off his beautifully shaped little head. I removed the attachment and went around his ears. Shaved a nice clean line in the back again. Then, I headed to the front. Dan has horrible cowlicks. I have to comb down the front of his hairline and even it up. I've done this so many times it isn't even funny. I could probably do it in my sleep. I combed the hair down onto his forehead and started to carefully even it up. Dan jumped and threw his hand over his eye. I asked what was wrong. He rubbed. And rubbed some more. I moved his hand. Nothing out of the ordinary. I finished cutting. Dan stood up. That's when I noticed it. Half of his right eyebrow was missing. I honestly don't think I did it. But, I also can't imagine not noticing that half of my own childs eyebrow is gone. We laughed and he went up to shower. When he got out of the shower he screamed and came running down the stairs. He wasn't laughing anymore. We argued. He went to bed angry and I starting packing lunches for the following day. When I grabbed Dan's lunch bag off the counter there was a bandaid stuck in the front of it that had fallen out of the cupboard. It was SpongeBob. Playing football. It was like it was suppose to be there. I couldn't let it go to waste. I attached it to a sticky note to put in with his lunch with this little poem:

I'm sorry about your brow.
I really don't know how
half of it disappeared,
and left you looking weird.

I was laughing so damn hard while I was writing it that I had tears running down my face. Dan has a great sense of humor. Or at least I hoped. I paced all day yesterday waiting for him to arrive home from football. He came through the door and didn't say anything about the note. I thought I would burst! I asked, "How were your Doritos?" He says, "Oh, the note?" Turns out he only read the first line and stuck it quickly in his pocket. He pulled it out and read it. He laughed until tears rolled down his cheeks. He is definitely my son.

Oh, and nobody at school noticed his eyebrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive